Sunday, December 4, 2011

Elder Alexander Morrison- An LDS mental health advocate

After visiting with a friend in regards to someone she is close to that is struggling with bipolar disorder, I searched the internet for a good resource to send her.  There are so many misconceptions regarding mental illness and I get frustrated with the lack of understanding, even by those who truly do want to understand.  It all goes back to my conclusion that no one can truly "get it" unless they have lived it.  Elder Morrison has a daughter who suffers with mental illness and he wrote a book, "Valley of Sorrow" which I read a few years ago.  He has become an advocate for mental illness awareness in the L.D.S. community.  Here is a link to an article in the Deseret News regarding a Service to Humanity Award he received in 2004.

 http://www.deseretnews.com/article/595053229/Elder-Morrison-gets-Service-to-Humanity-Award.html

I found an address that he gave at a B.Y.U. conference in 2004.  I think it is one of the best resources I have found.  He addresses the myths that are common in regards to mental illness and answers each one very clearly.  I found that everything I had tried to explain to my friend was answered and validated in his talk.  I am thankful for someone who has such in-depth knowledge taking their time to educate those who need clarification.  What a blessing to those of us who suffer with indifference, judgement, and lack of understanding.  I highly recommend reading this if you suffer with mental illness or know someone who does.

http://ce.byu.edu/cw/fuf/archives/2004/Alexander.Morrison.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment