Friday, July 10, 2009

My Bipolar Musts

Living with a chronic illness is a hard fact to face. It took me many years to finally find my stable place and the things I have to do in order to stay well. I find that I still mourn the person that I feel I was meant to be but I am better at accepting my limitations and I know that I have to live within those limits or I am not well. When I get sick my family suffers along with me. Here are the top things that I have to do or I fall apart.

1. Medication

Finding the right combination of medications was my first step and that took eight long years and many doctors. It was only a year ago that we finally found the right dosages of two medications that seem to work best for me. It is interesting how fine-tuned they have to be. Bipolar is tricky that way. It is definitely much more difficult to treat than regular depression.

2. Stress Triggers

I did not realize how much stress affected my ability to function in the best way possible. Before I was diagnosed I couldn't understand why I was unable to handle life as well as everyone else. I have had to eliminate as much stress as possible, and minimize any others. A fact of Bipolar is that stress triggers the illness. It has been critical to have the support of Brent and my kids. It took many years for us to learn how to deal with this challenge together; learning that has made all the difference.

3. Sleep

I cannot function without my eight hours of sleep. Emotionally I fall apart and the tears take over. It is frustrating for me. I have also had the problem of day/night reversal. My brain thinks that day is night and night is day. I am up all night and have to get my sleep during the day. This has been happening for many years. There are times when it isn't as bad as others, but it has been a continual challenge. The more I learn the more I find out that sleep problems are just apart of the illness. Lucky us. :(

4. Exercise

When I am in a good place jogging has been good for me. There have been times when exercising is not even an option. The fatigue that comes with the depressive part of the bipolar is overwhelming. But I have been well enough the past few years to jog regularly. I usually run four to five miles on the treadmill each day. I feel so much better when I do.

5. Nutrition

This has been a difficult thing for me. I am a chocolate addict but I do notice a difference when I limit it. Caffeine is an enemy to anxiety, depression and bipolar. This is an area that I am still working on. :) We are all aware of how to eat nutritious, it is just whether we apply our knowledge.

6. Counseling

In everything I have read about bipolar, one of the musts is seeing a counselor for yourself and as a family. This is not something that we have been diligent about. I think that we would have made progress much quicker if we had. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy teaches you how to re-train your brain and get rid of incorrect thinking habits. I have read some good books and have learned a lot. This is another area that I need to keep working on.

I hate what this illness does to me and my family. Our lives have changed over these past nine years and it has been very hard but I can see much good that has come from learning through our adversity. I would not have survived without many friends and family who have kept me hanging onto life, literally. I am so thankful for the place that we are at right now. My life is much different that I would have imagined it would be, but a part of life is accepting the challenges that are thrown our way. One of my dads favorite comments is, "Dina, the next life is better." I hope so dad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment