Sunday, July 12, 2009

Truth Statements

Depression takes away the ability to think and see reality clearly. Everything is dark, negative, and distorted in your mind. 2005 & 2006 were my worst years. During that time my goal was to just stay alive. My mind was telling me lies and I wasn't able to see the lies for what they were on my bad days. So I wrote what I titled "Truth Statements". I wrote these on a good day and when I was not thinking clearly I would read these statements to help me hang on for a better day.



Your mistakes are not the sum total of who you are.

You are not a weak person. You have handled many very difficult challenges and you have survived.

Keep looking to God for strength and support. Remember to ask Him for help daily.

You cannot do this without God. Do not try or you will fail.

Do not give in to the negative self-talk.

You are worthwhile and needed.

You are a good mother and your children need you. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise. Don't let them down play your role in their lives.

You are worthy to have God's spirit with you in spite of your mistakes.

You are a daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves you. Make good choices because you love him.

Your illness is not you.

You have survived every one of your depressive episodes. You can do it again.

Dina- you do not want to die. You may feel as if you do, but those feelings will change soon.

When you can begin to see clearly again, your desire to live will return.

You are overwhelmed with everything right now. That is okay. When this episode passes your ability to handle normal stresses will return. It always has- always.

When you are vulnerable like this, do not give in to the lies. It will destroy you and those you love.

You will not find what you feel so desperate to have outside of yourself. No one can give you what you don't have yourself. No one.

God wants you to succeed.

You have people who love you. You may feel very alone but you are actually surrounded by many loved ones. Turn to them for strength.

God did not send you here to fail. He will not desert you but you must turn to Him.

YOU CAN AND WILL SURVIVE.

August 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment